Administrative Assistant/Hearing Administrator
– Regulatory Services
The British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC) is a quasi-judicial agency of the government of British Columbia, responsible for regulating energy utilities and compulsory auto insurance in the province of BC. The BCUC operates under and administers the Utilities Commission Act. The BCUC’s mission is to ensure that ratepayers of BC receive safe, reliable and non-discriminatory energy services at fair rates, and that service providers are afforded a reasonable opportunity to earn a fair return on their invested capital.
The BCUC is currently looking to hire a highly organized, detailed and team orientated Administrative Assistant/Hearing Administrator to join the organization.
Reporting to the Commission Secretary and Manager, Regulatory Services, this position works as a member of the Regulatory Services team and is responsible for coordinating the provision of both general and confidential secretarial and administrative support services for the Commission and professional staff, including the final preparation of correspondence and orders and ensuring the complete exchange of all information between stakeholders and internal staff; the establishment and maintenance of a variety of databases and files including master files and exhibits; and a variety of other related duties.
- Type, format, edit and proofread a variety of commission materials from draft electronic files (e.g. Decisions, Regulatory Agenda, Orders, Information Requests, Annual Report, memos, etc.);
- Compose and prepare routine correspondence and draft PACA orders;
- Receive and archive all incoming electronic materials/ exhibits; print and forward hard copy to the appropriate staff for reply or information and to receptionist for logging;
- Maintain a Bring Forward (BF) system to ensure deadlines are met and follow-up to ensure timely receipt of responses, reports, correspondence, etc.;
- Compile, photocopy and maintain the currency of all proceeding binders;
- Establish and maintain a variety of databases (e.g. intervenors and interested parties mail database; complaints and type; integrated hearing schedules);
- Establish and maintain a variety of master files (e.g. Commission Agendas, Minutes, original orders and decisions, proceeding binders and exhibits) – ensuring security;
- Extract, retrieve, compile and/or prepare various statistical reports and related operational information;
- Provide administrative support for weekly meetings; type and distribute agendas, compile and distribute supporting documents; book meeting rooms; take, transcribe and distribute approved meeting minutes as required;
- Work as a member of a team to ensure the timely resolution of general office duties; and
- Complete additional projects and tasks as they arise.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 2+ years of secretarial/ administrative support experience in roles which required a high level of accuracy and detail;
- Grade 12 Graduation including courses in Information Technology (e.g. MS Office);
- Experience coordinating materials, reports and correspondence;
- Knowledge of and experience in records management practices and procedures;
- Knowledge of business English including grammar, spelling and syntax;
- Working knowledge of office procedures and standard office equipment;
- Demonstrated proficiency in a variety of computer applications (i.e. MS Office suite of products, SharePoint experience would be an asset);
- Excellent attention to detail with proven ability to complete accurate work within tight timeframes;
- Good oral communication and inter-personal skills;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and produce results within deadlines;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to exercise sound judgment and tact; and
- Ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships.
Based out of downtown Vancouver, BCUC offers a challenging and engaging environment; interesting and meaningful work and an opportunity for continual learning.